Decisions are very important. EMPOWERING the right people to take the right decisions is even more important. Organizations that take decisions effectively achieve superior goals.
What does it mean to handle decisions well? Our experience with high-performing organizations suggests that the following guidelines are critical:
- Decision quality matters–but it’s not all that matters. Companies have to make the right decision more often than not. But they also have to make decisions quickly, execute them effectively and avoid spending too much or too little effort in the process.
- Winners focus on the decisions that matter most. They identify the big, high-value decisions that every organization must make, and they ensure that those decisions work well. But they also understand that small everyday decisions–the kind that are made over and over again, often by people on or near the frontline–can matter as much as the big ones.
- Companies can “reset” decisions that are sources of trouble. A systematic process of analyzing the what, who, how and when of each troubled decision can put people on the path to good, speedy decision making and execution.
- The best companies build an integrated organizational system geared to support key decisions. These companies address both the “hard” issues, such as structure, roles and processes, and the “soft” ones, such as talent management, leadership behaviors and organizational culture.
- Lasting impact requires embedding new decision capabilities and behaviors. Companies need to equip people at all levels with the skills and abilities to decide and deliver, day in and day out.
Companies following these principles have improved their decision making and execution substantially, and have the results to show for it. Decisions engage and motivate their employees—they become a “great place to work.”
WHAT DO WE DO
- Classification of decisions
- Aligning decisions with Organizational Design
- Simplification of the hierarchy to make decisions without problems
- Empowerment for decision-making at all levels
How effective are the decisions made in your organization? It's time for you to think about it and allow the best decision making in your organization.